Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Two Out of Three


I'm continuing to work on the new Castle Peeps quilts for my three daughters' beds. So far I've finished two out of three...quilt tops, that is. We have a ways to go before they're bound and in use. The girls keep changing their minds as far as which one they want. I think we'll hold off on staking any claims until they're ready to go on the beds. Quilt number one will probably be the simplest version...just stripes of color down one side. I'm still trying to decide how I want to quilt this one. Any suggestions?


Quilt number two was a lot of fun to put together. I've been wanting to try wonky stars for a while now, and I'm so glad that I did. I love the way they look: bright, cheerful, and perfect for a child's quilt. I'm going to add a border around this to increase the size before quilting it.


I also started work on my zig zag tote for the Zakka Sew Along. I decided to use a few Denyse Schmidt prints from her JoAnn's collections. The orange one is from Aunt Edna, and the turquoise one is from Sugar Creek and Winding Road. I found some grey linen for the outside fabric, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet about the lining. I have to confess that I stayed in my comfort zone and pieced the zig zags using half square triangles rather than following the exact process in the book. There are definite imperfections going on here, but I'm always learning new things about this craft and that feels good.

Linking up to Work In Progress Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. The quilt tops for your daughters look great! For quilting, I would either suggest random straight lines at varying angles, or maybe large pebbles in the white and straight vertical lines in the print? I don't know...I'm always so quick to suggest, and I'm total crap at doing the actual quilting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zig zags look great. And your daughters will love their quilts! such fun, as long as they don't fight over who gets which!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are moving right along and they look great! As for quilting for the center you could do rectangular continual lines in each block, stiple the sides. I like mellissa 's suggestion too. I imagine it will be hard for the girls to choose - they are both great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wonky star quilt is so fun! Your zigzags look great and I love the gray linen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was perusing FITF blog and thought of you when I saw how she quilted her recent quilt it would be cute on yours too! http://www.filminthefridge.com/2012/04/05/circa-52-stripes-quilt/

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Heidi! Love the zig zags - looks great! I sent you a Liebster Blog Award - hope that's OK! Details here: betweenquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...