Friday, September 21, 2012

Swapaholic

Swaps are always such an amazing experience for me -- stressful (will my partner really like this??) yet exciting (someone is making something special for me!) and always pushing me to be at my creative best as I make something for my partner. I'm in the second round of two different swaps right now, and both are full of incredibly talented and wonderfully encouraging ladies.

My Modernista Round 2 Mosaic -- details here
In the Modernista Swap, we're moving to a different room of the house for each round. Last time we made an item for the sewing room, and this time we're creating something for the kitchen. I just loved putting this mosaic together!

My Modern She Made Swap Round 2 Mosaic -- details here
The Modern She Made Swap is completely wide open as to what we make. The only requirement is that it include a specific shape. Our first round was all about circles, and this round has to include a triangle somewhere in the pattern, fabric, quilting, etc.  Like I said, these are creative people! You can see my mosaic for this project above. I love all the color in these pictures!

My surprise package from the last Modernista Swap -- so amazing!
If you've never been in a project swap before, I highly encourage you to try it at least once. When I first went looking for one, I had a hard time figuring out how to join. The best way I found to do it was to join the flickr group for the swap. Then you just keep your eyes open for announcements about when sign-ups are going to happen. I don't recommend being in too many swaps at once -- two is my limit. It just becomes too much for me to juggle along with my other projects. If you're looking for information on swap etiquette, my friend Katie has a wonderful post about that here. Getting that surprise package in the mail from your partner is always such a wonderful treat. There's nothing like happy mail from a friend who made something just for you.

By the way, thanks to all of you for your sweet comments on my Vintage Holiday lap quilt. My grandmother was absolutely thrilled with the quilt and left at least two messages on our answering machine before we even got back home telling me how much she loved it. Such a happy end to a fun project...

5 comments:

  1. I think you just might like color ;)! Great mosaics. I'm in the MSM one as well. First time for me in that one. I am a swap addict too... If only I could limit myself to two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mosaics, I'm sure you'll get something lovely with inspiration like that! How did you get into your first swap? I saw the sign ups for both those swaps but both required previous swapping experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you joined the MSMS!! I think this is going to be a great round! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the color in your mosaics! I'm impressed that you're doing two swaps at the same time. I think one is more than enough for me. I know what you mean about the stress of wondering if your partner will like what you've made. You are so skilled, Heidi! I don't think you have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mosaics! I still haven't participated in a swap but one day . . .

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...